Here, we present you the answer for your question i.e. “what is middleware technology?” Firstly, let us know about middleware. It is software that acts as a bridge between an operating system or database and applications, especially on a network.
Middleware technology often designed to eliminate the pain of integration. Middleware solution is essentially a layer between two systems that makes it easy communication of systems. It can be considered the glue holds applications making connectivity possible without requiring communicating directly. As technology changes, the number of devices running within a business environment increases.
Middleware is software that provides services to applications beyond those available from the operating system. This can be described as “software glue”.
Middleware is connectivity software provides functioning processes to combine with other running on multiple network machines.
Middleware application programming interfaces provides more functional set of capabilities than the OS and network services provide on their own.
Middleware provides functionality to network and operating system API’s does not provide.
Advantages of middleware technologies are:
- Independent to network services
- Independent to operating system calls
The application uses API’s to integrate functionality that middleware provides into client/server application. The middleware has its own interface to the OS.
MindBoxTrainings Online : MiddleWare Technologie Courses
- A middleware service is a general purpose service between platforms and the applications.
- By platform, we mean a set of low level services and processing elements defined by processor architecture.
- A middleware service meets the needs of a wide variety of applications across many industries.
- A middleware service must have implementations that run on multiple platforms.
- A middleware service is distributed. That is, it either can be accessed remotely or enables other services and applications to be accessed remotely.
- A middleware service supports a standard protocol. That way, multiple implementations of the service will develop and implementations would interoperate.
- A middleware service should support a standard API. A middleware service is transparent API if it is accessed via that API without modifying that API.
Integrating middleware services:
An important thing is to a set of middleware services is by integrating them to work well as coherent system.
Middleware technology in distributed applications:
This is commonly used in software that enables communication and management of data in distributed applications. Middleware includes web based servers, application based servers, and content management systems will support application development and delivery.
Types of middleware technology:
- Message oriented middleware: This middleware is an infrastructure that supports incoming and outgoing of messages over distributed applications.
- Object middleware: This is also called an object request broker; it manages the communication between objects.
- Remote procedure call middleware: An RPC is exactly what it sounds like. It is usually utilized within a software application.
- Database middleware: This allows direct access of databases, providing direct interaction with them.
There are many other types of middleware technology which are rapidly used in present technology.